Indigenous Student Advocates
We would like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves to you as your child's Indigenous Advocates, Lana Donaldson and Carrie Briglio.
Our role as Indigenous Student Advocates is to support students and their families in any way that we can to promote education and its importance in each student's future. We will be working with students of Indigenous ancestry in accordance with the Equity in Action Agreement.
- Promoting education and assisting in overcoming any obstacles that may challenge education, both in and outside of the school setting such as physical/mental health, transportation, meals, family.
- Providing support for family, encouraging parental/guardian participation and support
- Maintaining and improving attendance, academics, personal goal-setting, behavior, self-esteem and peer social interaction
- Reducing suspensions and negative/unhealthy behaviours
- Providing inclusive cultural teaching
Our goal, as well as that of the Indigenous Education Program, is to ensure that each of our students reaches their full potential and has a very positive experience at Glenrosa Middle School.
Communication is one of the key tools in reaching success in relationships of any sort. Please feel welcome to contact us with any questions, concerns, or how the Indigenous Education Program can further support your child. If you have questions or concerns about how GMS is navigating through these uncertain times related to Covid-19, please contact us anytime.
Lana Donaldson Carrie Briglio
Indigenous Student Advocate Indigenous Student Advocate